After writing the Opinion piece on the PH SPOT blog, The rise of infographics, and why I believe all public health professionals should know how to design one, Sujani wanted to get behind the mic to explain why she believes this. In this solo episode, Sujani tells you what infographics are, how infographics have been used in public health, and why public health professionals need to have excellent communication skills, including visual communication. She also encourages listeners to take the first step by joining PH SPOT’s 6-day Infographic Planning Challenge so that they too can begin to build the confidence and skills to design public health infographics.
- What is an infographic, including the definition of an infographic
- You’ll be introduced to words such as “data visualization”, “information design”, and “information architecture”, and what they mean
- Who is using infographics in public health (in the past and present)
- Sujani’s favourite use of infographics in present-day: universities including infographic design as part of student assignments! By integrating infographic design within the curriculum of public health courses, students leave the course with infographic design skills that will be welcomed and sought out for in the workforce.
- Why infographic projects that share public health information or data are best led by public health professionals – and how the communication and/or marketing teams can get involved
- And she shares her bottom line, which is: We have a responsibility to ensure that public health information is displayed and communicated accurately. If we can’t get rid of the bad information out there, we should saturate it with good information.
After guiding a number of public health students and new grads since 2013, Sujani created PH SPOT to reach, inspire and support public health professionals. Sujani enjoys seeing people around her grow and become the best version of themselves! She is obsessed with elevating the people behind public health.
- Opinion post mentioned in the podcast: The rise of infographics, and why I believe all public health professionals should know how to design one
- To take the next step in developing infographic design skills, start with the 6-day Infographic Planning Challenge (requires just 15 minutes a day, for 6 days)
Other PH SPOT resources
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
Before you go…
- Do you have a topic that you would like us to cover or a guest we should sit down with? Tell us using this form.