In this episode, Sujani sits down with Elizabeth Loftus to discuss Elizabeth’s options for her potential career in public health. Elizabeth holds a BA in Health Studies and through this conversation, Sujani answers Elizabeth’s questions about the field of public health.
- What drew Sujani to pursuing a Master’s in Public Health (MPH) over a Master of Science degree
- Sujani’s advice for people who are equally interested in both research and practice in the field of public health
- If Sujani could do her MPH again, what would she do differently?
- What advice Sujani has for students who are afraid of making the “wrong choice” for their graduate programs
- Is an MPH degree a good fit for people who have a background in public?
- More on the financial reality of pursuing a career in public health
- If pursuing an MPH is the right fit for you
Elizabeth Loftus currently works at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto as an Administrative Assistant for the Centre for Global Health and Centre for Vaccine Preventable Diseases. She holds an BA in Health Studies from the University of Toronto (2019). As a student, she was involved in a number of student-led public health publications and organizations, and worked as a Research Assistant at the MAP Centre for Urban Health Solutions, St. Michael’s Hospital, assisting with research on the health of individuals experiencing homelessness, food insecurity, and mental health conditions. Elizabeth is interested in pursuing work and research in the areas of sustainability, women’s health, chronic diseases, mental health, and social policy, at both local and global levels.
- Sujani mentions an article about the Harvard School of Public Health having a public health certificate for private companies: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/school-launches-public-health-program-for-business-leaders/
- Lawrence Loh’s blog post entitled “Start With “Yes””: https://phspot.org/start-with-yes/
- Lawrence Loh’s podcast episode “Career Advancement & Family Life: Perspectives From A Medical Officer Of Health”: https://phspot.org/career-advancement-family-life-perspectives-medical-officer-lawrence-loh/
- PH Spot blog post entitled “I want to do a public health degree! Should I do an MPH or an MSc?”: https://phspot.org/i-want-to-do-a-public-health-degree-should-i-do-an-mph-or-an-msc/
- PH Spot podcast episode entitled “Inspired By the Blog Series: What I Wish I Knew Before I Started My Master Of Public Health (MPH) Degree: https://phspot.org/podcast-what-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-my-master-of-public-health-mph-degree/
- More about the Dalla Lana School of Public Health: https://www.dlsph.utoronto.ca/
Other PH SPOT resources:
- If you’d like to have a conversation with Sujani about your career and make it available to your peers via this podcast please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Share ideas for the podcast: Fill out this form
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
- Contribute to the public health career blog: www.phspot.ca/contribute
- Upcoming course on infographics: phspot.ca/infographics
- Support the show (http://www.phspot.ca/signup)