In this episode, Sujani sits down with Dr. Nitin Mohan who holds both an MD and MPH. They discuss how Nitin’s work experience in medicine led him to pursuing an MPH and talk about ETIO Public Health Consultants, a company co-founded by Nitin that works to bring evidence-based public health information and solutions to businesses.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Nitin’s path from completing his MD to pursuing an MPH and why he switched career paths
- How training as an MD strengthened Nitin’s ability to be a public health professional and vice versa
- What ETIO is including:
- What the company’s goals are
- What kind of projects ETIO takes on
- What major projects and reports have come out of ETIO
- What kind of backgrounds team members come from
- Nitin’s keys to success for entrepreneurship in the public health world
- What holding a faculty position and mentoring students in addition to his other work has taught Nitin
- What lessons Nitin has learned about science communication working through the COVID pandemic
- Advice from Nitin for public health students and early career professionals
Dr. Nitin Mohan is an assistant professor who teaches courses in the Master of Management and Applied Sciences and Master of Public Health programs. He is also a partner and physician epidemiologist at a private public health consultancy firm and research think tank called ETIO which is based in Toronto, Ontario. He obtained his Medical Doctorate in 2015 and his Master of Public Health in 2017.
He formerly worked for the Government of Canada, at the Public Health Agency of Canada where he was a physician epidemiologist with the Centre for Food-Borne, Enteric, and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (CFEZID) as well as the Surveillance Coordination Unit under the Infectious Disease Prevention Control Branch (IDPCB).
He specializes in infectious disease surveillance and preventive medicine. He has experience coordinating national surveillance activities ensuring optimal data practices across multiple sectors.
Through his role at ETIO he works with private and public sectors and Non-Governmental Organizations on various projects ranging from knowledge translation, data management, research design and clinical guideline development, software development and program development. His experiences have allowed him to work in dynamic health systems, through clinical practice, research implementation and surveillance design. He is routinely featured on various media outlets as a key contributor during the COVID19 pandemic.
His interests include preventive medicine, global health, public health, health equity, health economics and population health.
Featured on the Show:
- Read ETIO’s anti-black racism in Ontario report and other reports
- Learn more about ETIO’s RMP2 tool and the P3 dashboard
- Share ideas for the podcast: Fill out this form
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
- Contribute to the public health career blog: www.phspot.ca/contribute
- Upcoming course on infographics: phspot.ca/infographics
- Learn more about the PH Spot 6-week training program
- Support the show