In this episode, Sujani sits down with Kira Riehm, a psychiatric epidemiologist and a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Epidemiology at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. They discuss Kira’s journey and interest in mental health and things to consider when pursuing education in the U.S.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- What kicked off Kira’s interest in pursuing a career in mental health
- What Kira’s academic/career journey has been like so far and where she hopes to go next
- What things to consider if you are thinking of pursuing education in the U.S. versus in Canada
- What skills may be obtained from pursuing a PhD
- An overview of the Johns Hopkins PhD in the Department of Mental Health program including:
- What coursework is like
- What the environment is like
- The specialties of being the only mental health department in a school of public health
- What Kira’s research interests are and what she has worked on in the past
- Kira’s postdoctoral experience and what research she is currently working on
- What it was like for Kira being a Canadian student doing her PhD in the U.S.
- What financial resources are available for Canadian students looking to pursue higher education abroad
- Advice from Kira for public health students, especially for those looking at studying abroad or pursuing research experiences
- Tips from Kira on how to plan out a career path
Kira is a psychiatric epidemiologist and a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Epidemiology at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. The primary aim of her research is to understand the causes, correlates, and consequences of mental health disorders among adolescents. Drawing on a wide variety of data sources, she designs research studies that involve the application of rigorous epidemiologic methods to answer pressing questions about youth mental health and substance use. Her work has been published in JAMA Psychiatry, Pediatrics, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, and American Journal of Public Health.
Featured on the Show:
- Learn more about Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health’s PhD in the Department of Mental Health program
- Learn more about the Canadian Institutes of Health Research’s Doctoral Research Awards
- Learn more about Kira and her research
- If you have any further questions for Kira, you can contact her by email
- Share ideas for the podcast: Fill out this form
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
- Contribute to the public health career blog: www.phspot.ca/contribute
- Upcoming course on infographics: phspot.ca/infographics
- Learn more about the PH Spot 6-week training program
- Support the show