In this episode, Sujani sits down with Christine Plepys to talk about the variety of career paths that she’s had and how this has informed her work as senior director of data analytics. In a follow up from episode 34 with Heather Krasna, Christine describes the changing landscape of public health and the research that she’s conducted on the diversity of this workforce.
- About Christine’s different employment opportunities that lead her to public Health
- The statistics on different job fields that public health graduates are employed in
- The opportunities available for joint and dual degrees
- The data on the diversity of public health and what makes it such a diverse field
- Institutional resource planning to accommodate larger number of public health applicants
- What makes public health graduates so employable in the academic and corporate world
Christine Plepys is the Senior Director of Data Analytics at the Association of Schools and Programs of Public health. She oversees the association’s data collection, analysis, and dissemination efforts, along with conducting public health education research. She joined ASPPH in 2001 and previously worked at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. She earned her MS degree in statistics from Texas A&M University.
- PH Spot episode with Heather Krasna that this episode follows from: https://phspot.org/public-health-workforce-heather-krasna/
- Research Paper: Dual MD-MPH Degree Students in the United States: Moving the Medical Workforce Toward Population Health
- Research Paper: First-Destination Outcomes for 2015–2018 Public Health Graduates: Focus on Employment
- Research Paper: Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Academic Public Health: 20-Year Update
- PH resource where Master of Public Health programs are offered in Canada: phspot.ca/mphcanada
- PH Spot resource where Master of Public Health programs are offered in the US: phspot.ca/mphUSA
- PH Spot resource where Master of Public Health programs are offered online: phspot.ca/mphonline
- PH Spot resource on where Doctor of Public Health programs are offered around the world: phspot.ca/drph
Other PH SPOT resources:
- If you’d like to have a conversation with Sujani about your career and make it available to your peers via this podcast please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Share ideas for the podcast: Fill out this form
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
- Contribute to the public health career blog: www.phspot.ca/contribute
- Upcoming course on infographics: phspot.ca/infographics
- Support the show (http://www.phspot.ca/signup)