In this episode, Sujani sits down with Quisha Umemba, the CEO of Umemba Health. They discuss what Umemba Health is and its mission to improve the public health workforce, Quisha’s experience with consulting work and creating her own company, and talk tips on entrepreneurship and taking the first step to create your own business.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How Quisha discovered public health and her transition from working as a nurse to working in public health
- Tips on entrepreneurship and starting work as a consultant
- Where to go to gain more business sense
- Social engagement and choosing your social media to build your company’s image
- What Umemba Health is and how they are undertaking their mission to improve the public health workforce
- How the pandemic shed light on areas for growth within public health work
- Staying connected to current and relevant public health topics as a consultant or someone not “working on the ground”
- What a day in the life of and how her role has changed since she first founded the company
As the CEO of Umemba Health, Quisha Umemba (pronounced “Kwee-shuh oooMEMbuh”) brings over 20 years of diverse experience to her roles as a Registered Nurse, Public Health Consultant, and Entrepreneur. Boasting multiple certifications and an impressive work history, Quisha has developed, implemented, and overseen numerous health initiatives and community collaborations throughout her career. Quisha has worked as a Disaster Response Nurse Leader for the American Red Cross, a Clinic Coordinator for an outpatient endocrinology clinic, a Chief Nurse and Program Manager for a local health department, a Diabetes Nurse Consultant for a state health department, an RN Care Manager for a Federally Qualified Health Center, and a Clinical Programs Training Specialist for a value-based care consulting agency. A nurse with a public health background, Quisha has a multifaceted, blended expertise that enables her to design unique curricula and training programs with multi-level interventions. Specializing in Workforce Training and Development, her work focuses on equipping the public health workforce and her training approaches blend conventional, experiential, and transformational methods to create engaging educational content, delivered across various platforms. These distinctive training approaches have earned her the moniker “The Trainer’s Trainer.” As the CEO and Owner of Umemba Health, Quisha helps public health organizations and healthcare systems to educate their frontline workforce, empower their leadership, and expand their community presence. As the Principal for Quisha Umemba Consulting, she teaches “helping professionals” to monetize their skillset so they can build, launch, and scale a profitable public health consulting business using her proven step-by-step system. In addition to being an expert facilitator and trainer, Quisha is a devoted servant leader and health equity advocate. Her life’s mission is to empower, educate, and transform the lives of others.