In this episode, Sujani sits down with Dr. Terry-Ann Lynch who is the current Stakeholder and Patient Advocacy Lead at Sanofi Pharmaceutical. They discuss the role that public health professionals play in the pharmaceutical industry, skills needed to break into the industry, and how the impact of the work compares with more traditional public health paths.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How Terry-Ann first discovered the field of public health and her first public health jobs of being a health inspector and a nutrition educator
- What made Terry-Ann interested in working in the pharmaceutical industry
- The role that public health professionals play in the pharmaceutical industry and how the pharma environment is changing to favour the integration of public health
- What skills are valuable when breaking into pharma
- What a day in the life of a public health professional working in the pharmaceutical industry can look like
- Comparing the impact of work in the public industry vs in pharma
- Tips on how to smoothly transition into the field and where to find mentors in newer fields
Terry-Ann Lynch has over 17 years of unwavering dedication to Public Health and has traversed a dynamic path that spans clinical research, advocacy, and program management. Currently positioned as the Stakeholder and Patient Advocacy Lead at Sanofi Pharmaceutical, Consumer Healthcare., Her work has transcended boundaries and left an indelible mark. She has worked at several pharmaceutical companies including Merck and Pfizer as the Patient Advocacy and Health Equity Lead across disease states. Prior to joining the pharmaceutical industry, Terry-Ann worked in the clinical research, program management, and data analytics arenas managing various studies funded by private and governmental agencies.
In her current role, she has the privilege of collaborating with patient advocacy organizations across a spectrum of disease states. Her mission is to address unmet needs, particularly focusing on health inequities in marginalized communities. Drawing from an extensive background in clinical research, she forges collaborations with public health departments, non-profit organizations, and medical societies to unveil educational gaps and facilitate interventions that tangibly enhance patient outcomes.
Terry-Ann obtained a master’s degree in public health from West Chester University of Pennsylvania where she is also pursuing excellence in her current Doctoral program in Public Policy. Her area of focus in Public Policy and Administration is a testament to her resolute commitment to dismantling access barriers that hinder the pursuit of health equity. This journey is driven by an unshakable belief in the power of policy to reshape the landscape of healthcare and uplift lives.
Terry-Ann has a relentless dedication, innovation, and a fervent desire to foster change. As she continues to navigate the intricate tapestry of Public Health, she is motivated by the promise of a future where health disparities are history and every individual’s well-being is a priority.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Terry-Ann on LinkedIn