In this episode, Sujani sits down with Peel Region of Ontario’s medical officer of health, Lawrence Loh to talk about what leadership looks like in times of crisis.
- About Lawrence’s work that he’s been doing as a public health figure in the Peel region of Ontario during the COVID-19 crisis
- The difference between responding to public health challenges in times of normalcy versus a crisis
- Skills for a public health professionals to focus on during a crisis and the unique opportunities that may arise
- What it means for public health professionals to be leaders in their communities, and the different styles of leadership that take place
- The ways that young professionals can use the unique opportunities available in times of crisis to their own advantage for themselves and their community
- How do deal with criticism as a public health leader
Dr. Lawrence Loh, MD, MPH, CCFP, FRCPC, FACPM is the medical officer of health for the Region of Peel in Ontario as well as an Associate Medical Officer of Health at Peel Public Health and Adjunct Professor at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto.
In his past role at Peel Public Health, he provided strategic leadership to the Health Protection division (consisting of Environmental Health and Immunization Records), the Healthy Built Environment portfolio, and also lead the department’s digital strategy and strategic priority on advancing health equity. His work as faculty at Dalla Lana has included research into global health training experiences and teaching with the public health and preventive medicine residency program.
He completed undergraduate training and medical school at the University of Western Ontario and residency at the University of Toronto, during which he also earned a Master of Public Health at Johns Hopkins. He holds certifications in family medicine in Canada and in public health and preventive medicine in both Canada and the United States.
- To learn more about Lawrence Loh, listen to our earlier episode with him on the topic of career advancement and family life: Episode 10 – Career Advancement & Family Life: Perspectives From a Medical Officer of Health
- Posts written by Lawrence Loh on the PH SPOT blog:
- Read more about Lawrence’s work as the medical officer for Peel Region on Ontario in his interview with Maclean’s magazine: Dr. Lawrence Loh on Ordering Stricter Measures in Peel Region
Other PH SPOT resources:
- Share ideas for the podcast: Fill out this form
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
- Contribute to the public health career blog: www.phspot.org/contribute