In today’s episode, Sujani sits down with a fellow public health professional, Tasha McAbee, to announce the collaboration on a new series for the PH SPOT blog! Sujani met Tasha on Instagram through her page @Public.Health.Bookmark where she shares reviews on public health books she’s read. Knowing that the PH SPOT community would love this, Sujani and Tasha are launching monthly public health reviews on the blog! Before the launch of this series next week, Sujani sits down with Tasha to get to know her better and to let you know what you can expect in this series.
- Get to know Tasha: her public health journey, her role at Boston Children’s Hospital as a professional medical illustrator/animator, and her interest in books (her love language is book recommendations!)
- What got Tasha into reading so many public health books; and how she reads any book with a public health lens, thinking about how public health shapes the characters and the events
- How reading reminds yourself why you are interested in public health
- How when course readings and writing assignments became hard to get through, reading kept Tasha’s energy level up!
- Tasha and PH SPOT’s collaboration for the book reviews – what to expect!
- These book reviews will serve as an inspiration for those in school and for professionals in public health
- To highlight important public health topic areas; and if nothing is being done in these areas, how we hope these reviews encourage the PH SPOT community to take action
- To provide insights beyond what one can look up online – commenting on the writing format and style for example, and going beyond summary and plot points
- Suggested further readings to dive deeper into the subject matter; will be sharing other mediums (not just readings), such as videos and podcast episodes
- How to get in touch with Tasha and provide book recommendations
Tasha McAbee is an MPH candidate at the Boston University School of Public Health. She is also a professional medical illustrator/animator at Boston Children’s Hospital and enjoys educating through design and visual media. When not contemplating things like health law and policy, gender gaps in health, vaccine hesitancy, and environmental health, she can be found spending time with her three dogs, or more accurately, taking countless pictures of them.
- Where to find the book reviews: PH SPOT Blog
- Tasha’s Instagram page: Public Health Bookmark
- Other book reviews by Tasha, on Boston University’s Public Health Post blog
- List of public health books, compiled by PH SPOT
- Stay up to date as we release new book reviews, blog updates, and podcast episode + discover public health opportunities: PH SPOT’s Public Health Newsletter
Other PH SPOT resources:
- Share ideas for the podcast: Fill out this form
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up to listen.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
- Contribute to the public health career blog: www.phspot.org/contribute