In this episode, Sujani sits down with Luis Torres, a public health tech professional. They talk about what product management is, how to break into product development as a public health professional, and how health tech will become essential to progressing in the field of public health.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How Luis became interested in public health and subsequently product management and health tech
- What product development and management is
- How health tech is apparent in healthcare beyond tangibles such as telemedicine
- How health tech directly supports the major goals of public health such as education, communication, and sharing of resources
- How to be involved in health tech and product management without having a background in technology
- What kinds of different members can make up a team in tech development
- How having someone with public health expertise is vital in developing new health tech
- How you can involve health tech and innovative practices in your current organization
- What skillsets are important and transferable from public health to product management
- What additional skills or training may be helpful for someone looking to enter the health tech field
- What a day in Luis’s life as Associate V.P. of Product at Partnership to End Addiction looks like
Luis Torres focuses on improving patient access to treatment and strengthening the substance use treatment system through clinical quality improvement, practice change implementation, and clinical provider trainings. He aims to promote best practices among treatment providers and remove barriers to care for those with substance use disorders. Luis received his Bachelor of Science degree in biological sciences from Virginia Tech and his master’s degree in public health from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.